If you have been paying strict attention, you may notice that my office, which I started working on last fall, is not done.  In fact, it’s nowhere near done.  It’s been sitting like a fallow field, waiting anxiously for the return of Mr. Hammer.


So with all kinds of tools and all the materials in hand, why isn’t it done?  Answer:  six birds.  Or more correctly, a mother bird and five children.

It all began in December when Elaine went out to the shop to start refinishing a door from somewhere in the house.  To this day, I’m not sure where the door came from, but all the important doors seem to be in place in the house, so it’s just one of those “mysteries of life” where it came from.

Well, what do you know?  I move the door and found a bird nest, complete with some penny-sized eggs which were a sort of spotted/mottled color.  Like someone had gone after them with 6-colors of spray paint and mostly missed them.


Being a rocket surgeon, I figured that the bird should be left alone.  We have plenty of birds in this part of East Texas, and the mosquitos carrying West Nile have me concerned that at any moment, I could come down with lethargy and stop my hyperactive ways.  That’d be a bummer.  So the bird nest stayed.

A number of weeks went by and the weather was warm one day, so I ventured to move the door when the mother was off the nest.  What was inside, laid out like five feathery bricks, were the little birds.  I think they are wrens or some such, but the variety doesn’t matter.  They were cute little buggers.


I got into the habit of putting a handful of bird feed out for them once in a while.  Not for the kids, but the mom was going after bugs night and day as the grew up.  I spent a little time with the door off (warm days) and “cheeped” at them, thinking it might “imprint them.”


Whether it did or didn’t, a few days back, the whole family up and moved.  Gone, in a single morning.

How did I know this?  One of the young ones came over during his “flying lessons” and clung to one of my office windows for about 10-minutes or so.  He sat there, watching me work, probably thankful that he would be off adventuring soon.  I would be stuck in front of a keyboard.

His timing couldn’t have been better.  Ever since the birds move out, the weather has been too hot most of the day to work outside – 90degrees and 70% humidity are not ideal working conditions to my way of thinking.

If the shop has waited this long, perhaps a little longer won’t hurt.  Besides, maybe a new family of birds will come along to set up housekeeping.

Don’t tell anyone, but I may put some more nesting material out there for them..


(2004) Life’s for the Birds — No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *